MHG57902 - Buildings/enclosures, Camas Ban
Buildings/enclosures, Camas Ban
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ENCLOSURE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2004 as part of an archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn. A small settlement in a bay sheltered between two steep headlands, Creag Raonabhal to the west and the base of Sgurr Sgiath Airigh to the east. It is easily reached by sea but there is a steep ascent and decent from both sides on the public footpath. It would appear from the 19th century historical evidence to be something of a satellite settlement for Skiary and the three or four upstanding structures here bear similarity to those at Skiary, although there is evidence of earlier structures and one if not two possible sheilings. There is no evidence of any cultivation remains in the form of rigs. The place is dominated by two destructive burns.
Site 495. The foundations of 2 rectangular buildings or enclosures. The first structure measures 6.1m x 4.4m with double faced wall varying in ht from 0.3m to 0.1m. The second structure measures 5.2m x 3.2m with similar wall heights. No entrances visible in either structure. Sited on gently sloping N facing waterlogged ground on Creag Raonabhal. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 APs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
<1> Wombell, J., 2004, A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS, p.30 Site 495 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG25084.
<2> Get Mapping, 2012, Getmapping aerial photography 2012 (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical). SHG27869.
<3> Ordnance Survey, 1873-6, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire (Image/Map). SHG23755.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J.. 2004. A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.30 Site 495.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9175 0680 (12m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.