MHG5795 - Possible Broch - Dun Borve
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Undated)
- None recorded
NG35SW 3 3426 5257.
(NG 34265257) Dun Borve (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
Dun Borve - listed by RCAHMS (1928) under Probable Brochs. On a rocky ridge on the eastern shore of Loch Greshornish, at Borve, near Edinbain, are the remains of a dun. On the flanks the ridge rises sharply about 50' above the loch to the W and about 20' above the land to the E, but at the extremities it tails away more gradually in rocky slopes and bluffs. The building has been entirely removed, leaving a shapeless mass of stone and soil 5' high in places, forming a ring about 53' in diameter externally. The shape and the dimensions of the remains suggest that this may have been a broch. Graham lists this as an uncertain broch.
RCAHMS 1928; A Graham 1949.
Dun Borve is as described by RCAHMS. The plan and dimension, etc., suggest that it is almost certainly a broch.
Visited by OS (ASP) 1 May 1961.
NG35 1 DUN BORVE 1
Possible broch in Duirinish, Skye, standing on a rocky ridge on the east shore of Loch Greshornish. The building has been almost completely removed leaving a heap of stone about 1.53m (5 ft) high and 16.17m (53 ft) in diameter overall. The dimensions and the situation suggest that this is a broch.
Sources: 1. as card NG 35 SW 3: 2. RCAHMS 1928, 160-61, no. 515: 3. MacSween 1984-85, 45, no. 27: 4. Swanson (ms) 1985, 836 and plan. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 48-99.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 160-1, No. 515.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Broch, Dun Borve, Loch Greshornish. Digital Image. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. NG35 1 DUN BORVE 1.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3425 5256 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11173 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.