MHG58028 - Path, Rubha Camas Na Cailinn, Loch Hourn
Path, Rubha Camas Na Cailinn, Loch Hourn
Type and Period (1)
- PATH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Rubha Camas Na Cailinn
Sites identified during an archaeological survey by NOSAS in 2006.
Site 837. A constructed path, well built originally, now overgrown and wasted in places by the action of the sea. The buildings at Rubha Camas na Cailinn appear to have been robbed to build the path. Particularly at the A’Chiste Dhubh end, the path negotiates rock slabs and rocky points in an impressive manner. Construction stops at A’Chiste Dhubh, but on the 1st edition OS the path is shown as continuing to Caolasmor. The path can still be followed to Caolasmor, but it is unmade and tricky to find in places. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2010 APs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.13 Site 837.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8518 0790 (148m by 178m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/289639 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.