MHG58076 - Mill lade - Kilmaluag Mill
The former mill lade carrying water away from the former mill at Kilmaluag.
Type and Period (1)
- LADE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The former mill lade carrying water away from the former mill at Kilmaluag (see MHG5213).
Water-mill in the Kilmaluag district of Kilmuir (for a description and other mills in the parish see NG46NE 11 and NG37SE 10) under the heading of 'Modern buildings'.
Kilmaluag Mill was dismantled c.1935 and converted into a byre which exists today. It went out of use shortly after the turn of the century and from a description of its machinery was a vertical wheel type with scoops not paddles. It was fed by a lade which still exists for the most part. The mill building is of coursed rubble, mortar set, in good condition, situated on the W. side of the Kilmaluag River, immediately to the N of the Bridge.
Visited by OS (C F W) 25 April 1961.
The building was subsequently converted to domestic use and as of 2018 is called 'Mill Cottage'.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4345 7412 (33m by 171m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.