MHG58091 - Building, Allt a' Choire Reidh
Building, Allt a' Choire Reidh
Type and Period (2)
- SHIELING HUT? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be an unroofed shieling-hut is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxviii). Two unroofed buildings which may be shieling-huts are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 1 August 1996.
Lower Coire Reidh
Site identified during an archaeological survey of Loch Hourn by NOSAS in 2006.
Site 684. The footings of a stone built building, measuring c 6.5m ENE-WSW x 3m internally, although lacking its SW gable. The walls are very tumbled, but some of the facing is still visible. Shown on the current OS 1:25,000 map. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2010 Aps <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.20 Site 684.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9306 0920 (7m by 6m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.