MHG58141 - Enclosure, Ràrsaidh
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Ràrsaidh is a large area with a long and complex history. The present day Ràrsaidh Cottage lies within Rarsaybeg, and it appears as roofed on the OS 1st edition map of 1872. The 1st edition map also shows one roofed building close to the shore on Rarsay, along with several unroofed buildings. Ràrsaidh was apparently cleared in 1849 (English 2000, 287). Roy, in the mid 18th century, shows a small enclosed settlement of 5 buildings at Torr an Aoil, with rig and furrow on both sides of the Ràrsaidh Burn, though nothing where Ràrsaidh Cottage stands today. The 1808 map suggests a park close to the shore within Rarsay shieling, though no buildings are shown, as well as a small park close to the shore at Rarsaybeg with one building.
Site 1377. The remains of the one-time kitchen garden for Ràrsaidh Cottage (English 2000, 290), set beneath a crag and below the public road. It measures 17m ESE-WNW x 11m ENE-WSW overall, and is laid out in 2 equal halves. A path runs around the outside of both plots, with a central path leading to a gate in what is now a dilapidated post and wire fence. The garden has probably been derelict for at least 20 years. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 9/7/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8281 1129 (18m by 18m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.