MHG58185 - Building, Ràrsaidh
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Ràrsaidh is a large area with a long and complex history. The present day Ràrsaidh Cottage lies within Rarsaybeg, and it appears as roofed on the OS 1st edition map of 1872. The 1st edition map also shows one roofed building close to the shore on Rarsay, along with several unroofed buildings. Ràrsaidh was apparently cleared in 1849 (English 2000, 287). Roy, in the mid 18th century, shows a small enclosed settlement of 5 buildings at Torr an Aoil, with rig and furrow on both sides of the Ràrsaidh Burn, though nothing where Ràrsaidh Cottage stands today. The 1808 map suggests a park close to the shore within Rarsay shieling, though no buildings are shown, as well as a small park close to the shore at Rarsaybeg with one building.
Site 1447. The moss covered footings of a tumbled, rectangular structure, aligned E-W. It measures 3.5m x 2.2m and has a possible entrance in the wall (S) facing the sea. The walls stand 1m high and part of the back wall is built into the uphill slope. It is located within a conifer plantation with a mossy understory. Trees have fallen on top of the bothy and the interior of the structure is now very wet underfoot. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 12/7/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8043 1188 (4m by 4m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.