MHG58192 - Settlement - Dola
A number of features were identified from aerial photography, within a much larger landscape of activity.
Type and Period (4)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HEAD DYKE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- STRUCTURE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A number of features were identified from aerial survey, set within a wider landscape. Clearly visible is a head dyke and a number of enclosures and structures. These may comprise a township or settlement, or may be part of a much larger landscape, along with MHG11401 nearby to the north, where a 'settlement' was previously identified, and comprises of similar features across a large area. <1>
This area was photographed during aerial surveys by RCAHMS in 2009 (see link below to HES record for photographs). <2>
GIS spatial data created in 2018 based aerial photography. <1>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NC 6081 0709 (452m by 622m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/315453/dola (Link to HES Canmore online record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.