MHG5820 - BA Sword, Moss of Lyndale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Bronze leaf-shaped sword, perfect, about 2' long, found in the moss of Lyndell (now Lynedale) near Loch Greshornish. Now in the British Museum. Visited by OS (C F W) 9 November 1960.
J Anderson 1879; RCAHMS 1928; J M Coles 1962.
(Ewart Park type - Northern step 1). Found in 1812 in a peat bog. Sword, length 66.70cm, terminal width 3.00cm, shoulder width 5.05cm, maximum blade width 4.00cm; well cast. Surface of blade badly corroded; bevel missing. Hilt in good condition apart from slight corrosion; messy khaki patina, rivets 2 : 2, none in situ. London, Antiquaries Mus. (B 10 b).
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Gregory, D. 1857. 'Notes regarding various remains of antiquity, both of the earlier and middle ages, observed during a recent visit to the Hebrides', Archaeol Scot Vol. 4 1857, p.362-5. Archaeol Scot. 362-5. 365.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1879. 'Notice of a remarkable find of bronze swords and other bronze articles in Edinburgh; with notes on bronze swords found in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 13 1878-9, p.320-33. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 320-33. 326.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 173.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 83.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistoriche Bronzefunde Vol. 4 1988. Prahistoriche Bronzefunde. 90, no. 471.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . lii.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Way, A. 1847. Catalogue of Antiquities, Coins, Pictures and Miscellaneous Curiosities in the Possession of the Society of Antiquaries of London.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Soc Antiq London. 1847. Minutes of the Society of Antiquaries of London Vol. 36 1847, p.421. Minutes of the Society of Antiquaries of London. 421. 421.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3599 5400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SWORD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11147 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.