MHG58214 - WWII Defences - Ploc an Rubha
WWII Path, Pipe, Dam and Stance, part of a wider netwok of WWII defences.
Type and Period (4)
- PATH (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- DEFENCE WORK (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- DAM (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- STRUCTURE (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NG88SE0024A
NG88SE 21.02 859 839
The remains of 5 collapsed Nissen huts are situated on two terraces to E and SE of OS triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. The edges of the huts are marked by irregular lines of boulders and the stumps of timber posts, suggesting a raised wooden floor rather than the concrete bases at the two other locations on the peninsula (NG 851 835, NG88SE 21.01 and NG 849 835, NG88SE 21.03). Flat and corrugated (square-section) asbestos sheeting is littered across the terraces, together with C-shaped iron roof trusses and wooden louvred windows. Stone paths, about 1.2m across, connect some of the huts and run up to the circular gun-platform (probably for an anti-aircraft
gun of about 20mm calibre (pers comm Mr R Mowat, RCAHMS)) just to the W of the triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. An iron water tank is located on the ridge to the E of the Nissen huts with a pipe running down to one of the huts (Inverewe 19). A second pipe runs from the tank down the hill to the SW to a concrete stance, beside a dam, which presumably supported a pump. The paths between the Nissen huts join and run down the hill to the SW, past the dam, and to a jetty in the bay. A second path, perhaps uncompleted, runs intermittently from the vicinity of the jetty to the W, for about 160m, in the direction of the two other groups of nissen huts on the peninsula (NG 88SE 21.01 and 21.03).
Four of the huts were standing in October 1946 (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/UK/83 No. 4253) but by 1948 all were ruinous (visible on RAF vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/321 No. 4382).
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 June 1994.
INVG009 - WWII path, pipe, dam and stance identified in a DBA and walkover survey undertaken by the National Trust for Scotland at their Inverewe Estate in 1998.
These structures form part of the Ploc an Rubha section of the military training area on this peninsula.
The path is mainly traceable from the concrete dam to the gun emplacement on top of Ploc an Rubha. However, the RCAHMS survey also succeeded in tracing the route of the path from the dam to the jetty (MHG58212).
There is a concrete stance by the dam, thought to have supported a pump. From this stance the approximate line of a pipe can be followed to the iron water tank that still sits just below the summit of Ploc an Rubha.
The site was at minor threat from natural regeneration and it was recommended that it was photographed once every five years. <1>
Features not seen on aerial photography or OS maps. GIS spatial data based on grid reference from NTS 1998 report but these conflict with ALS 1994 grid reference. Individual locations of each feature are uncertain.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8573 8355 (100m by 100m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/79322/ploc-an-rubha (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.