MHG8370 - Military Training Area - Loch Ewe
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NG88SE0024B
NG88SE 21.00 centred at 851 835
Three discrete groups of Nissen huts, with associated gun-platforms, are dispersed along the promontory separating the sea lochs of Loch Thurnaig and Loch Ewe between Am Fiaclachan to the W and Ploc an Rubha to the NE. They were most probably part of a training area for light anti-aircraft guns of about 20mm calibre, aiming at targets towed behind aircraft flying over the loch. The buildings were probably associated with the jetty at NG 8581 8343 (MHG58212) and access was possibly provided by paths leading NE and NW from the jetty at NG 8581 8343.
21.01 851 835 Camas na Feithe Moire Nissen huts; Gun-platform SEE MHG8371
21.02 859 839 Ploc an Rubha Nissen huts; Gun-platform; Jetty SEE MHG58214 MHG58216 MHG58220
21.03 849 835 Am Fiaclachan Nissen huts; Gun-platform; Jetty SEE MHG7569
Information from RCAHMS (P McK, RM) 11 July 1994.
A WWII military training area across the Loch Ewe and Loch Thurnaig Peninsula. See MHG7569; MHG8371; MHG58220; MHG58216; MHG58214; MHG58212.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8548 8366 (1330m by 1048m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: WW2 Jetty, Ob na Ba Ruaidhe (Monument) (MHG58212)
- Parent of: WW2 Water Tank - Ploc an Rubha (Monument) (MHG58220)
- Parent of: WWII defences - Am Fiaclachan (Monument) (MHG7569)
- Parent of: WWII Defences - Camas Na Feithe Moire (Monument) (MHG8371)
- Parent of: WWII Defences - Ploc an Rubha (Monument) (MHG58214)
- Parent of: WWII Defences - Ploc an Rubha (Monument) (MHG58216)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/79315 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.