MHG58220 - WW2 Water Tank - Ploc an Rubha
Water tank, part of a wider netwok of WWII defences.
Type and Period (2)
- WATER TANK (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- DEFENCE WORK (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NG88SE0024A
NG88SE 21.02 859 839
The remains of 5 collapsed Nissen huts are situated on two terraces to E and SE of OS triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. The edges of the huts are marked by irregular lines of boulders and the stumps of timber posts, suggesting a raised wooden floor rather than the concrete bases at the two other locations on the peninsula (NG 851 835, NG88SE 21.01 and NG 849 835, NG88SE 21.03). Flat and corrugated (square-section) asbestos sheeting is littered across the terraces, together with C-shaped iron roof trusses and wooden louvred windows. Stone paths, about 1.2m across, connect some of the huts and run up to the circular gun-platform (probably for an anti-aircraft
gun of about 20mm calibre (pers comm Mr R Mowat, RCAHMS)) just to the W of the triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. An iron water tank is located on the ridge to the E of the Nissen huts with a pipe running down to one of the huts (Inverewe 19). A second pipe runs from the tank down the hill to the SW to a concrete stance, beside a dam, which presumably supported a pump. The paths between the Nissen huts join and run down the hill to the SW, past the dam, and to a jetty in the bay. A second path, perhaps uncompleted, runs intermittently from the vicinity of the jetty to the W, for about 160m, in the direction of the two other groups of nissen huts on the peninsula (NG 88SE 21.01 and 21.03).
Four of the huts were standing in October 1946 (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/UK/83 No. 4253) but by 1948 all were ruinous (visible on RAF vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/321 No. 4382).
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 June 1994.
INVG009 - WWII water tank and gun emplacement identified in a DBA and walkover survey undertaken by the National Trust for Scotland at their Inverewe Estate in 1998.
These structures form part of the Ploc an Rubha section of the military training area on this peninsula which have been fully surveyed bystaff from the RCAHMS.
The site was at minor threat from natural regeneration and it was recommended that it was photographed once every five years. <1>
A water tank is visible in aerial photography. <2>
A water tank was identified from aerial photographs by RCAHMS in 2015. <3>
GIS spatial data created in 2018 based on aerial photography. <2>
- <1> Text/Report: Harden J. Inverewe Archaeological Survey 1998. Archaeological Services. . INVG010.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8593 8383 (3m by 3m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.