MHG7569 - WWII defences - Am Fiaclachan
WWII jetty, path, hut stances and gun emplacements identified within a larger network of WWII defences.
Type and Period (3)
- NISSEN HUT (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- JETTY (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The concrete bases of five Nissen huts are disposed on two W-facing terraces on W side of the peninsula. There are two circular gun-platforms, connected by a path, one on the crest of the ridge to the NE of the Nissen huts, other on a low ridge just above the High Water Mark to SW. 4 of the huts are disposed across the first terrace down from crest of the ridge. A drain cut around the back of this terrace predates path running down from northernmost gun-platform and presumably took water away from the huts. The fifth hut lies on next terrace down towards the sea, along path to the second gun-platform. A wall slot was visible at edges of all the bases, and fragments of stoves were visible on three (Inverewe 32-34). C-shaped iron roof trusses and fragments of reinforced glass were only remains of superstructure. A rudimentary jetty is tucked in to a small inlet to S of Nissen huts, with no visible paths connecting to it.
All huts were standing October 1946 (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/UK/83 No. 4255), while by March 1948 only three remained (visible on RAF vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/321 No. 4383) and by May 1952 all had been dismantled or had collapsed (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph 540/725 No. 5137).
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 June 1994.
INVG012 - WII Jetty, pat, five hut stances and two gun emplacement identified in a DBA and walkover survey undertaken by the National Trust for Scotland at their Inverewe Estate in 1998.
These structures are the Am Fiaclachan section of the military training area on this peninsula which have been fully surveyed bystaff from the RCAHMS.
The concrete stances of 5 Nissen huts are sited on two terraces to the SW of the knoll at the al¬most end of the peninsula. The largest is c11m by c5m and all have the C-shaped roof trusses lying about them, although there is no other debris around the site.
On the top of the knoll there is a gun emplacement, c2.6m in diameter, made of broken stones. There is a stone path that takes a SSW line down the hillside, between the Nissen huts, to the second gun emplacement down by the sea.
The RAF aerial photos of 1946 show all these huts still standing. The 1948 RAF aerial photos show three of the huts still standing. The 1952 RAF aerial photos show all the huts dismantled or collapsed.
Minor threats from proposed natural regeneration were identified and it was recommended that the site was photographed every 5 years. <1>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based from HES Canmore grid reference. <2>
Indiviual locations for features are uncertain, location is central indication only.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8494 8339 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.