MHG58253 - Conjoined bothies, Corran village, Glen Arnisdale
Conjoined bothies, Corran village, Glen Arnisdale
Type and Period (1)
- BOTHY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
General Roy recorded a small settlement here in c.1750, named Leachran. How the name changed to Corran is another matter. Meryl Marshall and Ann Wakeling (NOSAS) spent a day recording the ruined sheds and other ruined buildings behind the modern township, plus those within the croftlands (figs. 9 and 10; plate 21). Following the 19th century clearances, Corran became a crofting township, the evidence given to the Napier Commission suggesting that the 17 crofters and their families endured great hardship in their attempts to survive on 13.5 acres (Evidence to the Napier Commission, Glenelg August 1883, quoted in English 2000, 108ff). The small size of their plots is clearly visible on fig. 10. Both Camusbane and Corran, in a rental dating to 1824, included a portion of ‘Lochournside’ (Murchison 1957). Islandreoch, Sandwick, Rarsay, Inchkennel and Culnanune were one big sheep run by that time, so ‘Lochournside’ must have included places to the east like Camas Chonalain Beag, Camas Chonalain Mòr, Eilean a Gharb-làin and Rubha Leac an Aoil, all of which have evidence of settlement evidence (NOSAS 2006, 13-17).
The croftlands are enclosed within a substantial head dyke above which there is extensive evidence of turf stripping for use as fuel, for building, and to increase the depth of soil and fertility on the plots. Most crofts appear to have had a barn and they all seem to have had a byre. Sites 1334-1344 are located in improved ground to the NE of Corran village and each is associated with a strip of land. Many of the buildings are still roofed and in use; they are all similar in appearance, but they do not appear to be dwelling houses. The strips of ground appear to be defined by small ditches - which show up clearly on aerial photos - although it is probable that some have disappeared due to more recent cultivation activity.
Site 1323. Two conjoined bothies located just to the SE of Site 1330. Each measures 3m x 1.5m internally and their tumbled, drystone walls are just 0.3m high. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 AP’s <2>
Note; Main settlement present on 1st Edition OS 6", but this individual site not recorded. See MHG24470 for main settlement details (T.Blackie 19/7/18)
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.82 Site 1323 p.33/34.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8510 0928 (8m by 8m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.