MHG58318 - WWII Camp - Dal Cruaidh
A former WWII camp now a caravan and camping site.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY CAMP (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
This site was identified in the National Trust for Scotland's DBA and survey of their Inverewe Estate in 1998
(INVG052). This site was used during the Second World War as a camp. It was bought by the NTS in 1959 to control development in the are. It was opened in 1963 as a caravan and camp site.
NTS site staff mentioned that there was at least one other rectangular structure of similar size buried in the gorse near the right of way in the vicinity of this structure. <1>
A military camp is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (CPE/SCOT/UK 183 4020, flown 8 October 1946). The camp site is partly abandoned by the date of the photograph, but extends from the current Poolewe Hall to the Inverewe camping and caravanning club site.
The concrete bases of a former military camp are still visible within the camping and caravanning club site.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 11 October 2013.
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 333401.
- <1> Text/Report: Harden J. Inverewe Archaeological Survey 1998. Archaeological Services. . INVG052.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 1309. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8603 8104 (311m by 254m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/333401/poolewe-military-camp (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.