MHG58341 - Killiehuntly Farmhouse
Farmhouse constructed in the mid 19th century.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMHOUSE (Constructed, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD?) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
A farm house which appears on the 1st Edition 6 Inch OS map. <1>
Killiehuntly farmhouse was one of twenty sites to have been part of the SCOT2K Native Pine Dendrochronology Project. One of the aims of this project included dating and provenancing of native Scottish pine timbers in buildings and archaeological sites and dates were found to range from the fifteenth to the nineteenth centuries, from high-status castles to modest cruck cottages. They were mostly located in the Highlands where Scots pine occurs naturally and so these areas were more likely to have had native pine used in buildings, although an early example of long-distance transport is also identified. More widely in Scotland, many historic buildings are dominated by imported timber from the 15th century onwards, and native timbers may be under recognised, something the project is helping to address. Native pine, from Killiehuntly farmhouse was dendrochronologically dated to the 19th century, with a terminus post quem date of 1846 AD. This farmhouse was likely built to replace Killiehuntly farm cottage (MHG18202), and was an example of the improvements continuing in the countryside during the 19th century. <2> Summary of results. <3>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Mills, C., Crone, A., Wood, C. and Wilson, R.. 2017. Dendrochronologically Dated Pine Buildings from Scotland: The SCOT2K Native Pine Dendrochronology Project. Vernacular Architecture Vol. 48. 23-43.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Mills, C., Crone, A., Wood, C. and Wilson, R.. 2017. The SCOT2K Native Pine Dendrochronology Project: Dating Summary. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2017. 215-218. Paper (Copy).
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NN 7906 9868 (20m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://doi.org/10.1080/03055477.2017.1372674 (Link to on-line published article)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.