MHG58357 - Structure, cairn, Sgamadail (west)
Structure, cairn, Sgamadail (west)
Type and Period (2)
- STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CAIRN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Sgamadail is a place of two halves, referred to here as ‘east’ and ‘west’ for convenience. In the latter 18th century, they were known as ‘the two Sgamadails’ and were held - along with ‘the two Croulins’ - by the same person (Munro 1984). Both Sgamadails are sited on outwash fans, spreads of boulders and earth carried down by melt water from the corries above at the end of the last Ice Age (plates 22 and 25). The outwash fans around Loch Hourn do not appear to have been the first choice for settlement, but following the settlement of the fertile valleys like Glen Mor, Glen Beag and Glen Arnisdale, population pressure eventually led to the occupation of the outwash fans. Plenty of building material was available, while the soil in the pockets between the stone is mineral rich. With a huge amount of hard work removing stones, outwash is capable of being cultivated in plots of rig and furrow or as small terraces.
The Sgamadails are typical of a dozen or more similar settlements around the shores of the loch, apparently progressing from summer shielings to permanent settlements. Having said this, the first settlement at Sgamadail (east) might go back to prehistoric times, as two circular recessed platforms were discovered about 200m inland, at an altitude of about 100m OD (Sites 1283, 1284).
Site 1019. A crescent shaped structure recessed into the N facing embankment overlooking the western outflow of the Allt Camas Chraoisgil. The N facing end and ENE arm of the crescent comprise a build up of boulders to form a grass, moss and bracken grown cairn at the rear, 1m in height. It is not clear whether this indicates field clearance onto the structure or whether the cairn is structural. The SSW arm is more distinctly curved and is comprised of turf grown boulder footings, 0.3m in height and 0.5m in thickness. The N facing terminal of this arm also has a cairn like appearance. The diameter of the dished, downward sloping, internal platform is c.2.5m. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 27/7/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7982 0950 (4m by 4m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.