MHG58365 - Boundary Bank - Beinn an Duibh Leathaid
A low turf bank was identified during a pre-afforestation survey.
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A low turf bank, up to 0.3 m high, but generally no more than a clear break of slope, runs in a W direction from NG 68577 11340 around the N side of the summit of Beinn an Duibh Leathaid to NG 68401 11263, near the E end of Creag na Ba . The steep crags of Creag na Ba appear to act as a continuation of the boundary and at the W end of the crags, the bank reappears and runs for a short length before intersecting the length of bank NG61SE 31 at NG 67987 10990.
S Carter and M Dalland (Headland Archaeology) 12 March 1998; NMRS MS 899/76 no.5. Sponsor: Historic Scotland. <1>
A low turf bank, up to 0.3 m high but generally no more than a clear break of slope, runs around the north side of the summit of Beinn an Duibh Leathaid. The sections of bank within the survey area connect between the east end of Creag na Ba and the precipitous slope on the north side of Beinn an Duibh Leathaid. Another section was noted out of area linking between the two parts of Creag na Ba, south of MHG28663. It seems that there was a continuous boundary formed in part by the natural crags, supplemented by turf banks where necessary. <2>
This bank is partly visible on aerial photography captures 1999-2001. <3>
This bank does not appear on the 1st or 2nd editionOS maps.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <2> Text/Report: Carter S & Dalland M. 1998. Beinn an Dubh Leathaid, Skye, WGS FCC 2718/3582. Headland Archaeology Ltd. . . Site no. 5. XY
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6846 1126 (260m by 157m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/310929/skye-beinn-an-duibh-leathaid (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.