MHG58367 - Bank and Shielings - BEINN AN DUIBH LEATHAID
Two banks, assumed to be one, and possible shieling were identified during a pre-afforestation survey.
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SHIELING? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A bank runs in a NE direction for 180m from a crag at NG68899 11096 to the slope above Allt Ne Beiste at NG 69072 11239. There is a short break between NG 68984 11108 and NG 68984 11138, but the two sections appear to be part of the same feature. The first (SW) section is constructed principally of stone and has two small 2.5m square stone foundations attached to opposite sides of it, close to the crag. A third, similar stone foundation, 3m square, is located approximately 100m NW of the bank. All three structures are assumed to be herd's shelters/shieling huts.The lower (NE) section of bank is constructed entirely of turf. <1>
A small building, possibly a shieling hut, is built against the stone section of bank described by Headland Archaeology in 1998, just below a rocky outcrop, at NG 68910 11093. The stone bank forms the building’s NW wall and entrance; its remaining walls are formed by a sub-circular positioning of very large stones or rocks which may have fallen from the outcrop above. The building measures 3m x 2m internally. The rocky outcrop above it has two very small platforms which may have been used as rough shelters associated with the building.
Information from SRP Camuscross, August 2011. <2>
The bank is partly visible on aerial photography captured 1999-2001. <3>
The bank and structures do not appear on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps.
- <1> Text/Report: Carter S & Dalland M. 1998. Beinn an Dubh Leathaid, Skye, WGS FCC 2718/3582. Headland Archaeology Ltd. . . Site no. 8. XY
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6895 1116 (181m by 119m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/310936/skye-beinn-an-duibh-leathaid (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.