MHG58421 - Platform, cairn, Sgamadail (west)
Platform, cairn, Sgamadail (west)
Type and Period (2)
- PLATFORM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CAIRN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Sgamadail is a place of two halves, referred to here as ‘east’ and ‘west’ for convenience. In the latter 18th century, they were known as ‘the two Sgamadails’ and were held - along with ‘the two Croulins’ - by the same person (Munro 1984). Both Sgamadails are sited on outwash fans, spreads of boulders and earth carried down by melt water from the corries above at the end of the last Ice Age (plates 22 and 25). The outwash fans around Loch Hourn do not appear to have been the first choice for settlement, but following the settlement of the fertile valleys like Glen Mor, Glen Beag and Glen Arnisdale, population pressure eventually led to the occupation of the outwash fans. Plenty of building material was available, while the soil in the pockets between the stone is mineral rich. With a huge amount of hard work removing stones, outwash is capable of being cultivated in plots of rig and furrow or as small terraces.
The Sgamadails are typical of a dozen or more similar settlements around the shores of the loch, apparently progressing from summer shielings to permanent settlements. Having said this, the first settlement at Sgamadail (east) might go back to prehistoric times, as two circular recessed platforms were discovered about 200m inland, at an altitude of about 100m OD (Sites 1283, 1284).
Site 1232. This NNE facing feature is 8m in diameter and is situated on a N facing slope, c.10m E of a burn (unmarked on the OS map). It is crescent-shaped and very tumbled, with a dished, central hollow, up to c.2m deep. The outer perimeter is made up of occasional large boulders, up to 1m in size. Within the concave interior is a cairn comprised of smaller boulders, measuring c.3m x 2m. A path runs E from the NNE corner, eventually meeting the burn. It is embanked on both sides; the banks measure up to 0.5m in width. This ruinous complex stands in grass-grown and bracken colonised land. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 8/8/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7987 0947 (10m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.