MHG58443 - Turf and stone bank, Croulin (east)
Turf and stone bank, Croulin (east)
Type and Period (2)
- TURF BANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HEAD DYKE? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Croulin is a place of two halves, divided by a river, with a broad outwash fan. For convenience, they are referred to as Croulin (east) and Croulin (west); though the owner of Croulin (west) calls his property, Cnoc Gorm, after the hill above, this does not appear to be a historical name. Both Croulins are occupied today by working fishermen.
There are small townships on both sides of the burn some 500m inland, whilst lower down, closer to the shore, there are numerous scattered ruins within the now enclosed fields (figs. 13 and 14). The homes of the 2 current occupants, along with their various outbuildings, sit to either side of the enclosed ground. We estimate that as much as 10 hectares of land was in cultivation at one time. The cultivation remains are still very visible, both on the ground and in aerial photographs. Later the best of the ground was enclosed by a substantial stone wall and shows evidence of having been ploughed by tractor. A sheep fank was constructed on the top side of the enclosed ground (Site 1136; fig. 14; plate 27). It is also possible that - after the lower ground was first enclosed - the poorer ground above the head dyke was cultivated in lazy beds for potatoes, at the time when the population was at his peak.
Site 1149. A turf and stone bank at the foot of steeper slope and bounding the cultivation remains, recorded as Site 1148. The bank is very wasted, standing to a maximum of 0.4m in height and spread to 1m in width. It is now heather and bracken covered. It is possibly part of the head dyke for Croulin. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2010 AP’s <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.93 Site 1149.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7894 0981 (157m by 25m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.