MHG58456 - Platform/building, Croulin (east)

Summary

Platform/building, Croulin (east)

Type and Period (3)

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • PLATFORM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • TURF BANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Croulin (east)
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.

Croulin is a place of two halves, divided by a river, with a broad outwash fan. For convenience, they are referred to as Croulin (east) and Croulin (west); though the owner of Croulin (west) calls his property, Cnoc Gorm, after the hill above, this does not appear to be a historical name. Both Croulins are occupied today by working fishermen.

There are small townships on both sides of the burn some 500m inland, whilst lower down, closer to the shore, there are numerous scattered ruins within the now enclosed fields (figs. 13 and 14). The homes of the 2 current occupants, along with their various outbuildings, sit to either side of the enclosed ground. We estimate that as much as 10 hectares of land was in cultivation at one time. The cultivation remains are still very visible, both on the ground and in aerial photographs. Later the best of the ground was enclosed by a substantial stone wall and shows evidence of having been ploughed by tractor. A sheep fank was constructed on the top side of the enclosed ground (Site 1136; fig. 14; plate 27). It is also possible that - after the lower ground was first enclosed - the poorer ground above the head dyke was cultivated in lazy beds for potatoes, at the time when the population was at his peak.
Site 1163. A building on a NW facing slope, located 20m from the E side of a burn. It is rectangular in shape, aligned ENE-WSW and measures 7.5m x 3m. A built up platform at the E end is surrounded by low turf banks, generally 0.2m high, but 0.4m high at the E end. The building is grass covered and lies amidst heathery ground. <1>

NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 AP’s <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 7836 0933 (10m by 10m)
Map sheet NG70NE
Civil Parish GLENELG
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.