MHG58519 - Clearance Cairn - South Cuil
A probable earth covered clearance cairn.
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Unknown date)
- (Alternate Type) CAIRN? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. An earth covered cairn at NM9812 5476 was surveyed. It measured approximately 16m in diameter and approximately 2m high. It is not marked on any maps. A large segment was removed from the eastern part about 40 years ago. It is probably a field clearance cairn. <1> <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2011. Cuil, Appin, The Highlands: Scotland's Rural Past Project. Unaffiliated. . Digital. Site 2. XY
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9812 5476 (60m by 60m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308817/south-cuil (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.