MHG58522 - Farm House - 1 South Cuil


A farmhouse flanked by agricultural building, built between 1871-1883. It was majorly renovated in 1988 and the agricultural buildings were incorporated into the living areas.

Type and Period (2)

  • FARMHOUSE (Built, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
  • AGRICULTURAL BUILDING (Built, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. This house was built between 1871 and 1883 (1st edition of the OS 6-inch map, Argyllshire and Buteshire 1875, sheet xliii and Erkshine Beveridge photography). It consisted of a central two storeyed dwelling house with two rooms downstairs and two upstairs, all with their own hearth. Flanking this to the southwest were a calf house, stable and byre. These were separted from each other by a five foot high stone wall. On the front of the byre and stable there were seven ventilation squares. The calf house had a longer one and a window. The doors to all three parts were at the back. Originally the floors were cobbled but concrete was poured over the floors of the byre and stable at some time in the past. To the north-east were a barn with doors on opposing walls and four ventilation slits and an open-fronted implement shed. All originally had cobble floors, later poured over with concrete. A dairy was added in front of the barn sometime between 1883 and 1897. A bathroom and scullery were added in 1935 when water was introduced by pipe from a catchment tank in a nearby burn and electricity came to the district in 1953. Renovations starting in 1988 incorporated the agricultural parts of the building into living areas. During these it became apparent that an older building had been incorporated into one of the ground floor rooms. The building is of stone with lime mortar.The roof is of Ballachulish slate as are the rooves of the other three houses and the barn on South Cuil. <1> <2>

GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NM 9819 5484 (28m by 35m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NM95SE
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.