MHG58532 - House - 4 South Cuil
A house built between 1871 and 1883. By 1935 it was a two storey house with wooden steading built nearby sometime after this.
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (Constructed, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD? to 2100 AD?)
- STEADING (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. The 1st and 2nd editon OS maps show two buildings at this location. It is not seen on Erskine Beveridge's photograph of 1883 but it was probably built between 1871 and 1883 as were the other original buildings on South Cuil (MHG58522, MHG58525, MHG58529). The second building does not show on a photograph of 1935, but it does show a two storeyed house with a single dormer window, two chimneys and an integral open-fronted implement shed which had a central pillar at its opening. The roof was of Ballachulish slate. It was built of stone and the corners were square.
The house was bought in the mid-1950s by the wife of the Third Lord of the Admiralty which accounts for a porthole window on the south-west wall. The implement shed was incorporated into the house at that time. A further addition was made in 2008.
Nearby was a wooden steading, constructed sometime after 1935. Two additions to this, both wooden, have been made. The original wooden partitions between the byre and the stable remain intact. It had a sloping corrugated iron roof and a concrete floor.
To the south of the farmhouse were two covered mounds. One measured 8.2m by 1.8m and was 0.6m high. This one seemed to be of stone covered by turf and the other, which measured 4.4m by 1.2m and was 0.5m high was of turf. It is likely that these represent the building shown on the Ordnance Survey maps that is no longer present. <1> <2>
See HES Canmore record (link below) for the plan of the house and the wooden steading.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2011. Cuil, Appin, The Highlands: Scotland's Rural Past Project. Unaffiliated. . Digital. Site 9.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9839 5550 (12m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308822/south-cuil (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.