MHG58534 - Concrete plinth, Slisneach

Summary

Concrete plinth, Slisneach

Type and Period (1)

  • MACHINERY PLINTH? (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Slisneach
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.

Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.

Site 1016. A concrete plinth, measuring 0.55m x 0.5m, set into a bank above the shore. A substantial galvanized bracket with roller is bolted to the plinth. This is possibly an anchor point for tensioning the known WW2 anti-submarine boom that lay across Loch Hourn in this vicinity (Billy Mackenzie, pers. comm.). <1>

Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 22/8/18)

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 7616 0926 (1m by 1m)
Map sheet NG70NE
Civil Parish GLENELG
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.