MHG58539 - Clearance cairns, Slisneach
Clearance cairns (2), Slisneach
Type and Period (1)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.
Site 1026. Two roughly circular clearance cairns, measuring 2m in diameter. The cairns are formed of beach cobbles and are bracken covered. Along with the cairns recorded as Site 1027, they lie at the base of the slope, at the head of the cultivatable area. The second cairn lies at 179524E 809172N. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 27/8/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7592 0918 (8m by 8m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.