MHG58543 - Building, Slisneach
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.
Site 1031. The footings of a building, measuring 6m E-W x 2.75 N-S, tapering to 2m in width at both ends. Both long walls consist of large boulders, with very large boulders in the N wall. The walls are 0.75m at their thickest, though the E wall is 1m wide. The building sits astride the track along the shore, at the foot of a crag. The vegetation consists of birch, grass, rushes, moss, and oxalis. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 27/8/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7523 0915 (7m by 7m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.