MHG58570 - Building, Slisneach
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG70NE 1 7504 0874
One unroofed building and an enclosure labled as a sheepfold are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxvi). One unroofed building and a two compartment enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 July 1996.
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.
Site 1069. A rectangular structure, on a WNW-ESE alignment, similar to Buildings 1067 and 1068. It measures 10m x 5m overall and has two compartments. The turf and stone walls at the W end are more distinct and are 0.3m in height and spread to 1.2m in width. There appears to be an entrance in the SE corner, while there is no trace of the SE wall of the N compartment. The level of preservation of the rest of the building suggests it has probably been robbed. <1>
Note; See MHG27218 for associated sheep fank as part of combined Canmore record (T.Blackie 31/8/18)
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 AP’s <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.104. Site 1069 p.19 Fig 18.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7504 0872 (12m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117918 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.