MHG58580 - Buildings, Inverguseran
Buildings (2), Inverguseran
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. Comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.
Site 1080. The double faced, drystone walls of a three sided building, measuring 5m NNW-SSE x 2m NNE-SSW, which is open on the NNW side. The walls stand c.1.5m high and 0.7m wide, narrowing to 0.6m wide at the wallhead. Like Site 1078, it has some surviving external pointing.
Site 1081. A short length of double faced drystone wall abuts Site 1080. The wall is c.3m long, but continues as barely perceptible turf-covered footings, creating a very vague structure c.7m wide. There is no wall visible on the N side and the SW wall only extends for c.5m. The structure possibly had timber walls. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 AP’s <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.105 Sites 1080,1081 p.55 Fig 20.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7450 0797 (11m by 10m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.