MHG58590 - Building, Inverguseran
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. Comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.
Site 1085. The low, stony, bracken-covered footings, of a sub-rectangular building, measuring 5m N-S x 2m E-W. It appears to have rounded corners externally and has an entrance in the middle of the W wall, facing the sea. The building is located c.200m N of Allt na Faolin, at the foot of a cliff. There is a grassy, but very stony, area between the building and the sea. <1>
Note; Site not visible on AP’s so location approximate. (T Blackie 31/8/18)
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7454 0817 (6m by 6m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.