MHG58599 - Building, Camas nan Ceann


Building, Camas nan Ceann

Type and Period (1)

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Camas nan Ceann

A township, comprising two roofed buildings, one partially roofed long building and three unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 26 July 1996.

These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.

Camas nan Ceann was the Forestry Commission’s base during the felling and replanting of the Miolary oakwoods in the 1920s and 30s (English 2000, 280, 286). All of the timber was apparently taken off by sea from the fine and open, but surprisingly sheltered, pebble beach. The beach is about 200m long, with a small burn entering the sea towards the eastern end. It is backed by about 30m or so of level ground, before the ground rises steeply. To the west and east are vertical cliffs; these are particularly steep at the east end. From visits in 2000 and again in 2008, we knew that the place was overgrown with bracken and brambles, plus an additional hazard of waste conifers that had been dropped from above onto the ruins below as they were too small to be worth taking out. Access to Camas nan Ceann from the landward side is not easy, the old footpath shown on the OS 1st edition map (1872) having been destroyed during forestry operations.

The largest building (Site 1318; plate 7), is of industrial proportions, but appears to predate the Forestry Commission by some time as it is shown on the OS 1st edition map (1872), though only two thirds of it was roofed in 1872. Behind it, Site 1319 is also shown as roofed on the 1872 map.

Note; GIS spatial data amended to location as seen on Camas nan Ceann plan p.14 Fig 2 (T.Blackie 3/9/18).

Site 1317. The known timber Forestry Commission building (English 2000, 285) is a large rectangular structure, measuring 17.5m long ESE-WNW x 10.10m ENE-WSW. The single faced dwarf walls, which supported the timber superstructure, are 0.3m wide and stand to a maximum of 0.25m high. Round timber posts, 150mm in diameter, are set into the front wall, 1.2m, 5.70m, 13.5m and 16.5m from the Wend. There is a possible entrance in the S wall. The building sits 15m from the head of the beach, but its rear wall sits directly on beach gravels. It has been severely damaged by recent forestry operations. <1>

1st Edition OS 6" <2>

Note; See MHG27223 for Township record

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred NG 7941 1177 (25m by 19m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG71SE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish GLENELG

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.