MHG58601 - Building, Camas nan Ceann
Building, Camas nan Ceann
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Camas nan Ceann
A township, comprising two roofed buildings, one partially roofed long building and three unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 26 July 1996.
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Camas nan Ceann was the Forestry Commission’s base during the felling and replanting of the Miolary oakwoods in the 1920s and 30s (English 2000, 280, 286). All of the timber was apparently taken off by sea from the fine and open, but surprisingly sheltered, pebble beach. The beach is about 200m long, with a small burn entering the sea towards the eastern end. It is backed by about 30m or so of level ground, before the ground rises steeply. To the west and east are vertical cliffs; these are particularly steep at the east end. From visits in 2000 and again in 2008, we knew that the place was overgrown with bracken and brambles, plus an additional hazard of waste conifers that had been dropped from above onto the ruins below as they were too small to be worth taking out. Access to Camas nan Ceann from the landward side is not easy, the old footpath shown on the OS 1st edition map (1872) having been destroyed during forestry operations.
The largest building (Site 1318; plate 7), is of industrial proportions, but appears to predate the Forestry Commission by some time as it is shown on the OS 1st edition map (1872), though only two thirds of it was roofed in 1872. Behind it, Site 1319 is also shown as roofed on the 1872 map.
Note; GIS spatial data amended to location as seen on Camas nan Ceann plan p.14 Fig 2 (T.Blackie 3/9/18).
Site 1319. The substantial and well built remains of a rectangular building, which may have been a dwelling and which measures 6.8m long ENE-WSW x 2.8m ESE-WNW. The walls are 0.70m wide and stand up to 0.7m high. There is a semi-circular buttress, measuring 2m x 0.7m at the SW corner of the W gable and the E gable may also have been buttressed. The building is situated c.35m from the shore and 10m from the burn. It has been severely compromised by recent forestry operations. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
Note; See MHG27223 for Township record
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.70 Sites 1319 p.14 Fig 2. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7946 1179 (16m by 13m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117923 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.