MHG58618 - Barn - North Cuil
A building, once a byre dwelling and now a private residence.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) BARN (Post Medieval to 20th Century - 1560 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- HOUSE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. This building was shown on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps and can be seen in the background of a photograph by Erskine Beveridge taken in 1883. It was a two storeyed building with a stable, two byres and an open-fronte implement shed on the ground floor and a barn and bothy on the upper level which was reached by ramps at the back of the building. At the west end and the adjacent north side there are two outshots. It has been much altered in the last thirty years and is now a private residence. The floors downstairs were originally cobbled with central byre drains. In one outshot there is double flue but no external chimney. The purpose of the flues remains a mystery. In the floor of the barn there were slots so that fodder could be easily passed down to the byre or stable downstairs. On the south wall was a small opposing door. Beside the main door was a building that housed a paraffin fuelled engine for driving the threshing machine. This no longer exists. <1> <2>
See HES Canmore record (link below) for plan of the building and photos.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2011. Cuil, Appin, The Highlands: Scotland's Rural Past Project. Unaffiliated. . Digital. Site 14.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9796 5570 (52m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309209/north-cuil (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.