MHG58621 - Farmhouse - North Cuil
A much altered farmhouse identified by the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMHOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD? to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. This farmhouse was photographed and measure. It has obviously been added to and altered since it was originally built; when this was is uncertain but probably about 1850 although there may have been an earlier house on the site as some of the stonework in the walls looks quite old. The name Greenfield first appears in the 1871 census but the same tenant was living at North Cuil 20 years before. It has three roof lines but which part came first is uncertain. It contained a dairy at its western corner which was entered by a separate external door. There was also a front door to which a porch had been added at some time and a back door. A flat-roofed extension was added in the 1970s. <1> <2>
See HES Canmore record (link below) for plan of the building and photograph.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2012. Cuil: A History and A Survey. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 16.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9791 5565 (16m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309213/north-cuil (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.