MHG58623 - House - North Cuil
The site of a small drystone house, which appears on the 1st edition OS map, but is unroofed on the 2nd edition. A photograph of it exists, taken in 1883, when it was still in use.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. This house was shown as roofed on 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map but unroofed on the second edition. It was photographed by Erskine Beveridge on 14th July 1883 and can be seen to be a small, drystone building with a thatched roof. Outside stand three children whose names it has not been possible to determine. Their socks can be seen drying on a pole against the south-west wall. In the background the barn and byre dwelling at Greenfield farm can be seen (MHG58618 and MHG58620). The house is said that it was abandoned following a winter storm when the sea came into the house but no date is given. Now the site is a swamp and only a few stones can be detected. <1> <2>
See HES Canmore record (link below) for 1883 photograph described above.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9771 5553 (30m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309214/north-cuil (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.