MHG58631 - South Building - Rudha Beag


The ruin of a building was recorded as part of Scotlands' Rural Past Project.

Type and Period (1)

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. This building was shown as roofed on the 1st and 2nd editions of the OS 6-inch map. It was also shown on Bedford's marine chart (1861). It was of rectangular outline with a small outshot at the seaward end from which the Greenfield headdyke continued to the sea at the eastern side of the base of Rudha Beag. The walls were reduced to footings. It lay across a track linking it to the building immediately to the NNE (see MHG58630).
It was said that man who lived here walked daily to Ballachulish to work on the slate quarries there - a commute of nine miles each way. Perhaps he worked at the granite quarries at Kentallen only four miles away or the china clay quarry at Lagnaha a mere three miles away. <1> <2>

See link below to HES Canmore record for photo and site plan.

GIS Spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NM 9743 5558 (9m by 10m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NM95NE
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.