MHG58635 - Byre Dwelling - Rudha Mor
A byre dwelling consisting of three parts was recorded during the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
Type and Period (1)
- LONGHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The footing of a rectangular building are visible on aerial photography captured 2010. <1>
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. This building is shown as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map but unroofed on the second edition. Bedford's marine chart calls it Rudha Mor na Cuil Farm. Census records tell us that it was vacated in the decade after 1881.
It lies on the line of the march dyke between North Cuil and the Back Settlement which runs up from the sea at the base of the east side of Rudha Mor and continues up to the bothy at the nearby lochan (MHG58634). It consists of a dwelling area, a byre area and an outshot. The walls are up to 1 metre high and are built of an inner and outer layer with rubble infill. The byre area is slightly narrower than the dwelling area and no doorway into it is evident. The door to the dwelling area is on the south-east wall and that to the outshot on the north-east. There is no sign of any windows or cruck slots. There are three slate slabs in the floor of the dwelling area which are about 3cms. Thick. Probing of this area suggests that the floor might be a further 10cms deeper. Adjacent are several dykes forming small enclosures.
A well shown on the first Ordnance Survey map nearby, which was reconstructed in the 1970s and is still in existence but has been badly damaged by cattle. <2> <3>
See link below to HES Canmore record for site plan and photo.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2011. Cuil, Appin, The Highlands: Scotland's Rural Past Project. Unaffiliated. . Digital. Site 33 and 32.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9688 5594 (12m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309229/rudha-mor (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.