MHG58642 - Byre Dwelling - Back Settlement
A byre dwelling was recorded during the Scotland's Rural Past Project.
Type and Period (1)
- LONGHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A desk-based assessment and walkover survey of Cuil, on the shore of Loch Linnhe, Lochaber, was carried out in 2010 by N Malcolm for RCAHMS' 'Scotland's Rural Past Project'. This house was shown as roofed on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. A photograph taken by M.E.M. Donaldson around the end of the First World War shows that the roof had fallen in but some thatch could still be seen attached to the gables. The walls had become much lower by the 1968 when the nearby farmhouse and steading were rented. In 1978 the walls were rebuilt and a half roof added. Looking at the ground around the building it was obvious that there was once a larger building here. To the south-west of the present building was a cross wall and the walls were rather thick. There was a 60cm terrace in front of the built up wall and in one corner there appeared to be two external walls, one outside the other. This suggests that what was here originally was a creel house - a house with a wattle and turf wall. This would originally have contained a dwelling part and a byre area but this had probably deteriorated long before Miss Donaldson's photograph and had been replaced by the stone walled building she shows.
About a metre to the north-east were the remains of another building which was roofed on the first Ordnance Survey map. Two walls now appear to be part of a dyke and there is a faint line of a third wall. This was probably an open-fronted implement shed. <1> <2>
See link below to HES Canmore record for site plan and photos.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on the structure as seen in 2010 aerial photography. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malcolm, N.. 2011. Cuil, Appin, The Highlands: Scotland's Rural Past Project. Unaffiliated. . Digital. Site 40, 41.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 9757 5683 (6m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/309236/back-settlement (Link to online HES Canmore record)