MHG58663 - Sheepfold - Claggan
A circular stone- walled sheepfold situated on a terrace above the river.
Type and Period (1)
- SHEEP FOLD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A circular sheepfold appears on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. <1> <2>
This circular stone-walled sheepfold is situated on a terrace above the river. It is visible in aerial photography captured 2009, and was also photographed by RCAHMS (RCAHMSAP 2009). <3> <4>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8617 3270 (16m by 16m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/315422/claggan (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.