MHG58667 - Enclosure - Claggan
A rectangular enclosure, situated on the terrace above a river.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A large sub- oval shaped enclosure appears on the 1st and 2nd edition OS map. <1> <2>
A roughly rectangular enclosure, situated on the leading edge of a terrace above the river, probably for stock, is visible in aerial photography captured 1999-2001 and 2009, and was also photographed by RCAHMS (RCAHMSAP 2009). See link below to HES Canmore record for aerial photo. <3> <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8600 3254 (47m by 67m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/315426/claggan (Link to online HES Canmore record)