MHG58695 - Livishie Power Station
A power station built in the 1950s as part of the Great Glen Hydroelectric Power Scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- POWER STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Livishie Power Station was the final component of the Great Glen scheme to be built and was amongst the last of the commissions made by NoSHEB. It is a relatively small station with only a 15MW capacity. This results predominantly from the fact that it has no associated storage reservoir. Instead water is gathered from the River Moriston and a number of surrounding smaller streams in the catchment. Water from the tailrace discharges into Dundreggan Dam (MHG30014) which provides daily storage for Glenmoriston Power Station (MHG58696) lying directly beneath it.The Great Glen scheme is characterised by the use of underground stations with other examples including Ceannacroc and Glenmoriston. The design of subterranean stations was pioneering for this date with most developments using surface stations and steel penstocks for the pressure system. This structure was recorded as part of HES' Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project during 2010-11. <1>
Livishie Power Station is an underground facility. GIS spatial data located at access tunnel portal based on grid reference.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3530 1598 (60m by 60m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312946/livishie-power-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.