MHG58696 - Glenmoriston Power Station
A power station built in the 1950s as part of the Great Glen Hydroelectric Power Scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- POWER STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Glenmorriston Power Station is the bottom station on the cascade development forming the northern part of the Great Glen scheme. The station is situated deep underground beneath the downstream face of Dundreggan Dam (MHG30014). It was amongst the first underground stations to be commissioned by the board. The station has a capacity of 36MW, the turbines and turbine hall were fully refurbished in 1999. Glenmoriston Power Station is a good example of the early use of underground stations developed by NoSHEB from around 1956 onwards. The Great Glen scheme is characterised by the use of underground stations with other examples including Ceannacroc and Livishie (MHG58694 and MHG58695). The design of subterranean stations was pioneering for this date with most developments using surface stations and steel penstocks for the pressure system. This structure was recorded as part of HES' Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project during 2010-11. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3573 1561 (60m by 60m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312948/glenmoriston-power-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.