MHG58699 - Enclosure - Reidchalmai
A circular enclosure identified by RCAHMS during an afforestation survey in 1995.
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) SHEEP FOLD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A faint circular enclosure is visible in aerial photography captured 1999-2001. It measures approximately 33m in diameter. <1>
A roughly circular sheepfold, situated around 330m NW of Reidchalmai, measuring 32m in diameter with an earthen bank 1.65m thick, was recorded during an afforestation land survey by RCAHMS 1995. <2> <3>
A DBA and rapid walkover survey was undertaken in by Catherine Dagg for Huntaway Consulting, in a proposed area of woodland planting. This feature was obscured by bracken but clearly visible on the air photograph. It wasrecorded as approximately circular, 50m in diameter and occupied a slight rise with a gentle north-facing slope. The surrounding bank was low and contained few visible stones. The vegetation in the enclosed area was grassy although bracken and heather were both encroaching. The function of the banks to enclose or exclude livestock was unclear, but the stone-free grassy nature of the enclosed area suggested a possible small arable patch dating to the Early Modern period.However, the site is large enough to suggest the possibility of a prehistoric homestead. Further investigation when the bracken has died back may clarify this interpretation. <4>
- <1> SHG27491 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
- <2> SHG25552 Dataset/Geospatial Data: RCAHMS. 1995. RCAHMS Draft Rogart Points and Lines. XY
- <3> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <4> SHG24527 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 08/2009. Reidchalmai, Little Rogart, Sutherland: Proposed area of woodland planting - Archaeological Evaluation. Unaffiliated. Digital. Pg 6, Site 5.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7234 0358 (34m by 39m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312734/reidchalmai (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.