MHG5870 - Miner's Cottages - Inverarish, Raasay


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • WORKERS VILLAGE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
  • PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NG53NE 10 555 357

'Raasay's main village, comprising largely of dwellings built to house the mine workers by James G. Falconer, 1912 -15. These include: Inverarish Terrace, two parallel terraces of mineworkers' cottages (many now altered) - two blocks in brick, two in stone, facing each other across a former drying green. Inverarish Cottages, similar but slightly larger, a pretty terrace with bracketted eaves, piended dormer heads and gabled porches, built for the formen a suitable distance up the hill. In Mill Place, terraces of single-storey estate workers' cottages, c. 1880, arranged in L-plan beside the bridge.' (Miers 2008)

Because most local men were called up during WWI, Baird's, owners of the iron mine (see MHG6521), used German POWs to work in the mine from 1916 onwards. The terraced houses then accomodated about 280 German prisoners-of-war in WWI. They were employed on the Iron Mine site and used for various tasks including on the railway, kilns and at the pier. (Draper & Draper 1990). <1>

Use of Miner's row as a Prisoner of War Camp at Raasay was noted in the HS and RCAHMS' 2013 World War One Audit Project. <2>

GIS spatial data copied from data suppled by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NG 5556 3571 (150m by 200m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG53NE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish PORTREE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.