MHG58701 - Hut circle - Drumchork
A hut circle at Drumchork.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Drumchork
188321 888875 Drumchork MR002: The hut circle was visited by A Welti in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This HC is sited in heather covered landscape on a gentle slope with S aspect over a wide flat valley. Two large boulders are visible to S, otherwise few stones are visible above the heather. A stone and turf field wall abutts the SE HC wall. Average inner diameter is 7.2m, outer diameter is 11.5m, double skinned wall thickness is 2m and max height is 0.6m. The entrance has external width 2m and internal width 1.8m. The entrance passage is 3.4m measured to N side, and 2.5 m to S, indicating that the entrance is extended but not uniformly. This HC may be associated with MR001 (500m distant - see MHG51506), JAN008 (600m distant - see MHG58065) and JAN007 (700m distant - see MHG). However these HCs may be associated with JAN006, (see MHG58061 - 1000m from MR002) which is possibly too far away to be part of a cluster including MR002. <1> <2>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data created in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <3>
- <1> SHG27403 Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. MR002.
- <2> SHG27404 Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. MR002.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8831 8888 (17m by 17m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.