MHG56724 - Farmstead - Yellowwells
A ruined farmstead.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
This farmstead stands on the E bank of a stream about 200m NW of the Pine Chalets; it sits on a low ridge on an otherwise N-facing slope within an area of improved ground. It comprises a rectangular range measuring about 40m from NE to SW by 6m transversely over mortared rubble walls 0.6m in thickness. The NE half of the range contained a dwelling, while the other half comprised a byre. The byre contains a 'Harris Light Climax' mangle made by WJ Harris and Co Ltd of Peckham in London.
The farmstead is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, Sheet XI), which shows two roofed buildings, a well and yard, and was described in the contemporary OS Name Book as 'a crofter's house, one storey, with barn, byre, and stabling attached, all of which are thatched, and in fair repair, the property of JP Biscoe, Kingillie House' (Book 52, p52). The tenant was noted as James Fraser, and the farmstead name was confirmed by Donald Fraser of Stockdarroch, and Alexander McDonald of Cnockloan.
Visited by RCAHMS (GFG) 1 April 2009
GIS Spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5714 4345 (32m by 49m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/314797/pine-chalets (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.