MHG58728 - Valve House - Orrin
A valve house built in the mid 1900s as part of the Conon Valley Hydroelectric Power Scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- VALVE HOUSE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
This valve house contains the large butterfly valve which allows for the isolation of the penstock carrying water out of the tunnel from Orrin Dam and down to Orrin Power Station. This valve house echoes the functional style of the powerhouses on the Conon scheme and exhibits a similarly restrained use of architectural detailing, predominantly limited to some plain detailing to the door surround. In line with the wishes of James Shearer the buildings is constructed from local stone some of which may have been reclaimed from the excavation of the tunnel through to Orrin Dam as was the case with other underground structures such as Deanie and Cuilligran Power Stations (see separate items on Affric scheme). The structure was recorded as part of HES' Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project during 2010-11. <1>
GIS Spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map.<2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4359 5420 (17m by 19m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312899/orrin-portal-valve (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.