MHG58730 - Orrin Power Station
Hydroelectric Power Station built in the mid 1900s as part of the Conon Valley Hydroelectric Power Scheme.
Type and Period (1)
- POWER STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Orrin power station receives water via tunnel and pipe from Orrin dam some 5KM to the South East. The station houses a single 18MW turbine. It is located on a steeply sloping site, the turbine hall oversails the tailrace and is built into the hillside with a single storey section to the rear adjacent to a large transformer station connecting the station to the grid. this is a good example of a smaller power station forming a component of a larger scheme. The design of the station is characteristic of this period with large windows to the turbine hall and relatively limited architectural detailing. The site is narrow and steeply sloping which has resulted in some changes from the characteristic design features. The turbine hall is very tall and narrow and has a shallow pitched roof with a recessed ashlar panel and small windows to the centre of the gable end over a large teak vehicular access door. The advanced flat roofed block built into the hillside to the rear of the turbine hall has a panel of ashlar with relief carving of the name of the station. The structure was recorded as part of HES' Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project during 2010-11. <1>
GIS Spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map.<2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4360 5457 (33m by 26m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/312902/orrin-power-station (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.