MHG58762 - Drill Hall - Grantown-on-Spey
A former drill hall, still in military use.
Type and Period (1)
- DRILL HALL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Grantown-on-Spey drill hall [TS_DH_35] is on Forest Road. It is a two-storey granite building with a single-storey hall behind, parallel to road. It is still in military use. It does not appear on the 2nd epoch 1:2500 map but is mapped on the 1951 1:10,560 (surveyed 1938). In the First World War the hall was the drill station for “F” Company, 6th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders.
A number of additional buildings or stores have been constructed to the N and NE of the drill hall. Recorded as part of the HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2> <3>
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 279.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331419.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 62, table 39.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 163.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NJ 0343 2771 (25m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMDALE, INVERALLAN AND ADVIE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331419/grantown-on-spey-forest-road-royal-airforce-outdoor-activities-centre (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.